I ran across these steps from George Muller this morning in one of my favorite devotionals Springs in the Valley. Simple and straightforward, they serve as a faithful reminder to help us follow the will of our Master. I’m including a paraphrased, condensed version below.
To Know and Obey the Will of God-
1) Get your heart to the place where you have no will of your own.
2) Don’t rely on feelings and impressions.
3) Seek the Holy Spirit’s direction through study of the Word.
4) Pay attention to providential circumstances.
5) Pray and ask for clear direction.
6) Continue to pray until you experience peace.
7) Proceed as directed.
Notice that seeking out God’s will requires time in His presence, silence for listening, solitude for focus and meditation as well as prioritizing the study of God’s Word. George Muller was a mighty man of faith, filled with the Spirit and greatly used by God. His life is a model for modern-day followers of Christ as we seek to trust and obey. Muller reminds us that in both ordinary, commonplace decisions as well as in much larger matters, this process of seeking God’s will is effective.
Where do you need to know and understand the will of God in your own life just now? Will you carve out time to sit with Him – to seek, knock, ask and listen?